April 1, 2020
Cranberry Township, PA 16066
HOW CAN PEOPLE RESPOND TO THE 2020 CENSUS?
Wednesday, April 1, 2020
April 1 is “Census Day,” although households can respond before or after that date. Households will receive several mailings from the Census Bureau in March and April 2020.
Census responses are confidential. U.S. law strictly prohibits the Census Bureau from sharing personal census responses with anyone—including law enforcement, courts, or any other government agency.
- Households can respond to the census online, by phone, or on a paper questionnaire.
- The online and phone questionnaire will be available in 13 languages.
- The online form will be optimized to allow people to respond on a smartphone, tablet, or computer.
- The online form is secure, and responses will be encrypted.
- The Census Bureau will send paper questionnaires to households that have not responded after several reminders, and will follow up in person if needed.
- The questionnaire takes about 10 minutes to complete.
- The Census Bureau will have a toll-free phone hotline in 13 languages for people who have questions or need help responding to the census.
Beginning in May 2020, Census Bureau staff will visit households that have not yet responded to collect their responses in person.